Great light salad of an Eastern-Mediterranean flavor, with crunchy pita chips. Big favorite! I learned it from some Lebanese friends. After I tasted it, I needed to keep it.
Original Recipe Yield 4 servings
- 3 pita rounds, torn into pieces
- oil for frying
- 2 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, minced
- 15 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 pinch celery salt
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place pita pieces into the skillet without crowding. Fry in batches until browned; then remove to paper towels.
- Place romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, green onions, mint leaves, parsley, and cilantro into a large bowl.
- Pour lemon juice and white wine vinegar into a small bowl. Season with salt, lemon pepper, onion flakes, celery salt, and garlic powder. Stir in olive oil.
- Gently toss salad with fried pita pieces and dressing. Adjust seasonings to taste, and serve.